Fort of the Magi
Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil
The Fort of the Magi was built in stone and mortar by the military engineer Francisco Frias de Mesquita, using the design drawn up by the Jesuit Gaspar de Samperes (1598). A noteworthy architectural feature is the uncommon use of two bastions with oreillons protecting the entrance. The five-sided fortification has been restored and is used as a tourist attraction. Its appearance during the period of Dutch rule is depicted in drawings, engravings and paintings.