Panaji [Panagi/Pangim/Panjim/Nova Goa], Goa, India
According to Bernardo Peres da Silva, Viceroy Manuel de Portugal e Castro ordered built against Lisbon’s orders the Artillery Barracks, which was begun around 1829 and apparently completed in 1832, as indicated by the inscription above the gate in its east façade. The building has the form of an irregular quadrangle and occupies an entire block. It comprised single-floor volumes from which three turrets stood out on each façade, in the corners and centre of each volume. On the south side, although the plan shows a well defined rectangular volume that closes the quadrilateral, it was soon joined to a group of constructions that defined the elevation toward Rua Mahatma Gandhi. Some of the constructions were probably erected at the same time as the Quarters, given that the library which Lopes Mendes says was installed here in 1832 operated in a body that occupied the southeast corner, i.e. the side opposite the site where it functions today. The Barracks’ spaces have been used for various functions. In 1842 the diverse military functions and the library were joined by the Military and Navy Academy, the Appeals Court and a theatre. As time went by a lyceum functioned here (on the site of the library), the National Printing Office, the Professional Institute, the Treasury, various local government services and the Vasco da Gama Institute, among others. Over time the building underwent diverse changes as it was used by different services. Standing out is the change to two floors on the entire north façade, probably in the late 19th century, and the modification of the east façade after 1961 – it also became a continuous volume. The west façade was also given two floors and in recent years verandas were added which have very much disfigured the construction. The barracks have a simple and functional language rigorously marked by the rhythm of its openings and turrets. It is known that stone brought from the old city of Goa was used in the construction, which can be discerned in the entryways of the central turrets on the east and north façades. Despite all the interventions, the Artillery Barracks is among the oldest and remains one of the most important constructions in the city of Panaji.